Please read the User Agreement thoroughly before using our site. By advertising on our site, you indicate that you accept the User Agreement.
Information about us
Our site is operated by The Retreat Company trading as The Retreat Company (“we”, “us”). We are registered in England at Gaulby Road, Kings Norton Leicestershire LE7 9BA in the United Kingdom.
We are an advertising /resource service for Advertisers and a retreat search facility for other users of our site (“retreat makers”). We have absolutely no involvement in the booking process or transaction, unless by prior arrangement, although we may provide tools to enable the transaction between Advertiser and “retreat maker”. It is the sole responsibility of the Advertiser to be eligible to promote their retreat and the sole responsibility of the retreat maker to pay for the retreat they book on.
Rules for advertising
By advertising on our site and by providing information to us, you agree to the following:
- Eligibility to advertise
To provide upon request from us proof of personal identification, proof of ownership of the retreat on promotion advertised on our site and proof of authority to list the property.
Prior to activation of an advertisement all content that you submit is subject to our approval. As part of that process and in an ongoing capacity we reserve the right to review and amend content and photographs you supply.
- It is a requirement of your advertising contract with us that your availability accurately reflects the availability for the advertised retreat at the time. Misrepresentation of availability of the advertised retreat is misleading to site users. We reserve the right to withdraw the date facility or terminate the advertisements concerned, without refund, where we believe calendars to be misleading.
- Availability calendar updating
We recommend that retreat information is updated on a regular basis. As you can imagine, failure to provide the minimum frequency of updates will affect advert performance and the user search experience. We reserve the right to withdraw date lead information from adverts where availability is considerably out of date. Adverts that repeatedly fail to meet this minimum requirement could be terminated without refund.
- Activation of subscription
Once payment has cleared retreat owners will be given a login user name and password. Most retreat owners will want to work on their copy straight away. The retreat owner’s annual subscription will be activated when content has been added to their page allocation. Retreat owners have up to 12 week to start adding content. After such time the subscription started dated will be activated anyway. The Retreat Company will not be held responsible for late copy sent through and no refund of time or money will be owed to the retreat owner.
Termination of an advertisement
If we receive substantiated complaints from any number of site users about a specific advertisement misrepresenting the retreat and its timetable, or its surroundings, or the inappropriate behavior of an Advertiser, then we reserve the right to remove the advertisement without notice, and retain payment;
If an Advertiser attempts to enter unsuitable material into the online database, or persistently misuses the online systems, we reserve the right to remove the associated advertisement from our site. Full payment will be retained;
We reserve the right to refuse or remove any advertisement from our site that we consider unsuitable, incomplete or misleading, and will not be liable for any expense in so doing;
We reserve the right to refuse any advertisement from our site where the content fails to meet the above statement
If an Advertiser wishes to have their advertisement removed from our site before the end of their subscription, this will be done as soon as we receive formal notice from the Advertiser by email or using the ‘Contact Us’ page, quoting their Advertiser ID. No refunds will be given;
- If an Advertiser is in breach of these terms we may remove the advertisement from our site without notice and without refund.
In the interest of maintaining a high level of service to retreat searches using our site, we strongly recommend all advertisers to be available to respond to enquiries by telephone or email. We suggest that if retreat owners be unavailable for a period of more than 1 week, we ask them to leave an answer phone message to that effect or to set up an out of office response on their email account. If neither of these options is viable, we ask that Advertisers contact us so we can temporarily suspend their advert.
- Guestbooks and reviews
All entries submitted for the retreat guest book must be genuine comments from your guests and that you have gained prior permission from the guest when using their name etc within the comments. We reserve the right to request the email address of the guests whose comments are included for the purposes of verification. Should we decide to include guest reviews on the website, the same rules will apply.
- External links
We reserve the right to remove from advertisements both email addresses and links to external websites which either do not conform to the guidelines provided, or which we feel are not appropriate, or act against the interests of us or our Advertisers. The ultimate responsibility and authority for determining the aforementioned rests solely with us. Should an Advertiser add a link or email address without consent, re-add a link or email address after its removal or remove reciprocated links from their website, we reserve the right to cancel their advertising without refund.
Payments can be made online through our automated system, with debit or credit card over the phone, by bank transfer or cheque.
We can not accept credit/debit card details by email as this is not a secure payment method.
No Advertisements will be activated without payment.
If payment is being made by credit or debit card this can be processed online by Sage Pay (a division of Sage (UK) Ltd), our online card payment provider.
If you are sending a cheque please address it to: The Retreat Company., The Manor House, Gaulby Road, Kings Norton, Leicestershire, LE7 9BA, United Kingdom.
For payments made to us by bank transfer and/or in a foreign currency, bank charges for these transactions will be added to the invoice if not already covered by the advertiser.
Advertisements can be paid for as a one off annual or 3 payments instalments. Payment amounts are discussed and agreed with one of our sales team prior to the advertisement going live.2nd and 3rd payments will be taken from a card of your choice or standing order from your chosen bank account. These 2nd and 3rd payments carry no “cooling off” period.
Our services fall within Schedule 5 of the VAT Act 1994 and therefore the Advertiser is required to account for any VAT (or equivalent) due in their own member state/country.
- We are legally required to charge VAT on our fees at 20% to Advertisers who are either resident in the UK or who are private individuals resident in the EU.
- If you are an Advertiser resident outside the EU, VAT will not be charged as our services are outside the scope of UK VAT when provided to you.
- If you are an EU resident Advertiser (except in the UK) and if you confirm that you are “in business”, we will not charge UK VAT on our fees.
- In business”, for this purpose, means that you rent property on a regular basis to generate income.
EU residents (except UK)
By confirming you are “in business” you may be required to account for VAT on our fees in your local jurisdiction. Residency is interpreted for VAT purposes as the country where the individual has set up home and is in employment.
Please note that all Advertisers, whether they are in business or not, are responsible for charging and accounting to the relevant authorities for taxes (including, where relevant, VAT) on the rental payments they receive
We provide an advertising service rather than a physical product. We offer a ‘cooling off period’ of seven working days wherein an Advertiser may cancel the requested advertising by email to email@example.com or by use of the ‘Contact Us’ form on our site (stating the Advertiser name and retreat title. The ‘cooling off period’ applies to the initial advertising period only; it cannot be applied beyond the first year or first quarter of advertising.
Changes to pricing and conditions
We reserve the right to change the rates and conditions without notice. Any new rates will be applicable immediately for all new advertisements and renewals for both new and existing Advertisers.
Change to website appearance.
We reserve the right to change the appearance of The Retreat Company website that we believe will benefit the site as a whole.
Information you provide us
All copyright, database rights, trade marks and design rights (“Intellectual Property”) in our site and in the material published on it belong to us, our licensors or our Advertisers.
You may download material from our site for the sole purpose of using our site, but you must not copy, transmit, modify, republish, save, pass off or link to any content or material on our site without our prior written consent.
In respect of any information you provide to us or other users of our site you will retain all rights you have in the Intellectual Property in such material, but you agree to:
- warrant to us that the material is your own original work and not entirely or partially copied from any other material; that you have all consents necessary to upload the material; that the material is accurate, complete and true; that the material complies with the British Code of Advertising Practice and all other relevant codes under the general supervision of the Advertising Standards Authority; and that the material does not defame, cause injury to or invade the privacy of or otherwise infringe or violate any statutory, common law, regulatory or Intellectual Property rights of any third party;
- compensate us for any losses or liability suffered as a result of any claim against us by another user or any other third party in relation to the material which you provide;
- grant to us and our licensees a non-exclusive worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to use the Intellectual Property you have in such material in any media known now or in the future; and
- waive any moral rights or similar rights you have in the material whether such rights arise pursuant to the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988 or equivalent legislation anywhere in the world.
We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials which you upload to our site or information you provide to us or any user of our site.
Consideration should always be given to the nature of advertisements and contracts transacted on the Internet, and the risks involved. Although we encourage Advertisers and retreat maker to make direct contact with each other, you may never meet or directly speak to a retreat maker prior to them attending your retreat, and you must therefore proceed with care and judgment when using our site.
Your waiver and indemnity
You agree to waive any claim you may have against us that is in any way connected with a dispute you have with a user of our site; and compensate us for any losses or liability suffered as a result of any claim against us by a user of our site or any other third party in relation to your dealings with users of our site and third parties.
Our liability and responsibility
We act merely as an advertising service through which you can advertise retreats to users of our site and we make no representations or warranties regarding the capacity of any user of our site to make a booking with you.
To the extent permitted by law, we and third parties connected to us hereby expressly exclude:
- All conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity; and
- Any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our site or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our site, any websites linked to it and any materials posted on it, including, without limitation, any liability for loss of income or revenue; loss of business; loss of profits or contracts; loss of anticipated savings; loss of data; loss of goodwill; wasted management or office time; and for any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter. Nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Interruptions in our service
Whilst we take every care to maintain the continuity of our site, the Internet is not always a stable medium, and errors, omissions, interruptions of service and delays may occur at any time. As a result, we do not accept any ongoing obligation or responsibility to operate our site or any particular part of it.
Links from our site
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
No partnership or agency
Law and jurisdiction
You agree to comply with all applicable laws, statutes and regulations concerning your use of our site. Each and every booking carried out on, or as a result of use of, the website is deemed to be completed within the United Kingdom and therefore shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
Events beyond our control
Any notices that you wish to send us should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any notices that we may wish to draw to your attention to will be displayed on our site or through our newsletter communications.
We encourage retreat owners to manage their own content on our website so that information is always up to date and will provide simple step by step instructions.
We will happily manually add your content for you when you buy an advertising package or renew/upgrade your existing package. However, any changes that we make for you will be subject to an admin charge. This includes spelling mistakes, new/changes to existing text, changing images and contact details.
Once your listing is live your location and dates (event listings) are set. Any changes to the location and dates will incur an admin charge. All other content on your listing can be changed and updated throughout your subscription.
The Retreat Company, are registered with Data Protection Act and we treat the personal information of site users with the utmost respect and confidentiality and take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is stored securely and accurately. If you have any queries or comments about the policy or our use of your personal information, please get in touch with us by emailing us at email@example.com or writing to The Retreat Company, Gaulby Road, Kings Norton, Leicestershire, LE7 9BA UK.